Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I found this copycat for The Original Roadhouse Grill's Texas Egg Rolls and the sweet spicy jalapeno jelly dipping sauce. Yummy! Prep time includes the 2 hour refridgeration.
- 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 12 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 lb egg roll wraps or 1 lb wonton skins
- oil (for frying)
- water, small amount, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon flour
Jalapeno Pepper Jelly
- 3 green bell peppers, minced
- 8 ounces diced canned jalapeno peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 6 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces liquid pectin
- 5 drops green food coloring
- Mix jalapenos with cream cheese.
- Place small amount on wrapper, roll up eggroll style and seal the tip with a drop of the water-flour mixture.
- Continue until mixture is all gone.
- Place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Heat oil to 350-375 and cook about 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes. Filling will be hot.
- Serve with jalapeno jelly.
- Jalapeno Jelly:.
- In a large, stainless steel saucepan, combine peppers, vinegar, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Cook over medium high heat.
- Stir frequently until mixture begins to boil.
- Stir in pectin; boil 5 minutes longer, stirring constantly, and mix in food coloring.
- Skim off foam, and remove from heat.
- Ladle into sterilized jars.
- Seal, and process in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes.
This is five stars for sure. I made some changes to make it even easier and it came out perfect! First I used Low fat cream cheese (just to try and make it a little less fattening.) Then added Canned Dices Jalapeños much less mess and I always have some in the cupboard anyway. I Then was able to buy jalapeño jelly at the local supermarket. I live in Arizona so Jalapeño jelly is not hard to find. This took me less than 20min to prepare and have ready to serve. The crowd loved it and I had no leftovers!!! The best appetizer recipe EVER!
OOPS! You need more than "a drop" of the water mixture, I put it on the edge inside and then on the crease outside to make sure it stayed "glued" together. I didnt think of taking a picture (Duh, me) but will next time! Dont be intimidated to try this, it really was easy and was a hit with the whole Fam/ even my 19 month old semi-picky eater loved it!
I worked at this restaurant and its missing cheddar cheese (shredded)