Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lovely creamy dessert.
- 4 tablespoons uncooked rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 quart milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon rind
- Boil water; add rice, stir once and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add milk and simmer 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Mix flour with 4 tablespoons water.
- Add to rice mixture slowly and stir.
- Add sugar and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla or lemon rind, and pour into 4 individual custard cups or small dishes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
This was very good! After first consulting with the recipe poster, I determined that I should try using slightly rounded Tbsps when measuring out the rice - measuring this way, I ended up with about 1/2 cup raw rice. I felt the amount of rice was fine - the liquid reduced considerably while simmering. Mine did thicken up much more than that last reviewer's did - but it still was a loose pudding, even after chilling. The taste was very pleasant and reminded me of English custard with rice in it. Thanks for sharing!
I'm sorry alicescarpati that it didn't turn out right..something must have gone wrong,it could have been the rice...( we probably have different rice here in Greece)but when I make it..it turns out pretty thick !! Take Care!!
This should not be called rice pudding. 4 tbsp. rice and 5 cups of liquid. It tasted like sweetened milk with an occasional grain of rice. Sorry for the poor review.