Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Every country in the Mediterranean has its own version of this recipe.
- 5 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup rice, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine 4 cups of the milk, lemon rind and rice in a large heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often to prevent mixture from sticking.
- Bring to boil and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place the sugar in a small mixing bowl, add the eggs, vanilla and remaining milk.
- Blend together.
- Slowly stir into the rice mixture.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
- The rice will rise to the top when done.
- Do not overcook.
- Pour into serving bowls.
- Cool, sprinkle each serving with cinnamon. Refrigerate.
Delicious variation on an old favorite! The lemon really makes this special. I cut recipe in half with no problem. I also sprinkled a bit of nutmeg on top, with the cinnamon. Made for tag game at Kittencalskitchen.com