Recipe by gemini08
A different way of preparing rice and a great accompaniment to roasted meats and game. From the book "The French Farmhouse Kitchen" by Eileen Reece.
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 8 ounces rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth (bouillon)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop the onion medium - fine. Peel the carrot and chop into a small dice.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat, when foaming, saute the onion and carrot until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice and stir well to coat, season, stir in the majoram, beef broth and wine.
- Cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, ca.15 minutes, depending on the quality of the rice. If this happens before the rice is cooked, add 1 - 2 tsp of hot water.
- Correct the seasonings, empty the rice into a heated bowl and sprinkle with parmesan if desired. Serve immediately.