Recipe by *Bellinda*
Mmmmh! Milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Those aromas will take you back to your childhood. This dish is great as dessert or even for breakfast. There are so many variations on rice pudding; fruits, nuts, exotic spices like cardammon, star anise, clove...I like them all. But this simple version is the one I like the most. It tastes best with whole milk. I have substituted some of the milk with heavy cream because I had some left over and that made it even more creamy. It tastes great hot and cold.
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, scrapings
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and cook rice for about 2-5 minutes and strain.
- Meanwhile warm up milk with vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and salt added.
- Bring to a light boil and add rice.
- Cover and let simmer on LOW(!) for 30-45 minutes.The rice should be really soft for this dish. Stir and check a few times to make sure the rice doesn't burn or stick to the bottom.
- Add butter and stir.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, and stir. After a couple minutes it's done.