1/1 Photo of Riz Au Lait (French Rice Pudding)
Mmmmh! Milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Those aromas will take you back to your childhood. This dish is great as dessert or even for breakfast. There are so many variations on rice pudding; fruits, nuts, exotic spices like cardammon, star anise, clove...I like them all. But this simple version is the one I like the most. It tastes best with whole milk. I have substituted some of the milk with heavy cream because I had some left over and that made it even more creamy. It tastes great hot and cold.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and cook rice for about 2-5 minutes and strain.
- 2Meanwhile warm up milk with vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and salt added.
- 3Bring to a light boil and add rice.
- 4Cover and let simmer on LOW(!) for 30-45 minutes.The rice should be really soft for this dish. Stir and check a few times to make sure the rice doesn't burn or stick to the bottom.
- 5Add butter and stir.
- 6Add egg yolks, one at a time, and stir. After a couple minutes it's done.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Riz Au Lait (French Rice Pudding)
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 542.3
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 140.0 mg
- Sodium 239.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 25.4 g
- Protein 12.5 g