Recipe by Um Safia
Rice cooked with meat & wonderfully aromatic spices....
Top Review by noway
Very aromatic and flavorful! Based on previous reviews, we reduced the rice to one cup uncooked (yielding 3 cups cooked) and used 3 cups beef broth. This amount easily made 6 servings for us. We cooked the rice separately from the meat/spice mixture and combined them at the end. This reduced the cooking time and helped us make sure that we had enough water for the rice without sacrificing the flavor of the dish. Thanks for posting!
- 453.59 g lean meat, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 709.77 ml basmati rice, soaked in water for 15 minutes, then drained (or long grain rice)
- 59.14 ml chopped onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml ground cardamom
- 22.18 ml butter
- 59.14 ml toasted pine nuts
- 59.14 ml toasted almond
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat,on all sides in 1 tbsp butter.
- Add seasoning to meat and stir. Pour three cups boiling water over the meat. Cover and let cook for one hour on a medium high heat, 'til the meat is done. Measure the broth left in a measuring cup. Add enough water to make up 3 cups of liquid.
- Stir onions and garlic with 1/2 tablespoon hot melted butter, till slightly brown.
- Add the meat and the liquid to the onion mixture. Stir tomato paste over. Bring to boil then add the rice and raisins.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Let cook for 30 minutes. Open the pan and stir just the top layer. See if rice is cooked. You may need to cook, covered, a few minutes longer.
- Serve rice and garnish with the meat and nuts.
- Serve with plain Yogurt and mixed green salad.