Recipe by Baby Kato
This recipe has been submitted for play in ZWT8 - France, from the CUISINE-FRANCE website. This risotto recipe is from the Riviera region and is also known as pilaf. Although Risotto is a traditional Italian recipe, this is a delicious French recipe for braised rice, with a combination of rice and onions. It is wonderful paired with Burgundy white wine or dry white wine as suggested by the French Wine Guide.
Top Review by Boomette
This rice is so good. This is a great risotto that requires not too much stirring. I used arborio rice, 1 small onion and beef stock. The cooking time was perfect. When I checked, there was no liquid left. Thanks Baby Kato :) Made for ZWT8 for Diners, Winers and Chives
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, short grain only, no long grain
- 1⁄4 cup onion, sweet, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter (you may use olive oil)
- 3 cups stock, chicken (beef or mushroom)
- 2 sprigs parsley (tie the herbs together)
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, black
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
- In a Dutch oven add the minced onions and cook them in butter or olive oil for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add the rice to the onions and stir for several minutes over moderate heat until light brown.
- Boil the stock and pour over the rice.
- Next add the herbs, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer, stir once and cover.
- Place the casserole in a 375 degree oven for 4 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees for 14 minutes.
- Then uncover the casserole and check to see if the liquid has evaporated.
- If not, put the casserole back to the oven for a few more minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove the herbs, season with salt and pepper if desired and enjoy.