Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is supposedly from the Riverview Inn in Mississippi - I don't care for Okra, and we leave it out - it always tastes fine!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium soup bone
- 2 (1 lb) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 5 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 2 large carrots, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 16 ounces frozen vegetables
- 1 cup okra, sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large dutch oven pot, place a gallon of cold water, stew meat, and soup bone.
- Add salt.
- Bring to a medium boil, and skim frequently for about 1 hour.
- Lower heat, and add tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, and seaonings.
- Cover and cook about 1/2 hour - until vegetables and meat are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook until potato cubes are tender.
- You may wish to add more water depending on the consistancy of the soup.