1/1 Photo of River Road Spinach Madeleine
Miss Annie's Note:
This is my adaptation of the recipe in the River Road Recipes cookbook from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, La. This has been around at least since the 1960's and is still a favorite. It tastes better the next day after it is made. It freezes beautifully.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or you can use 1/4 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 lb hot monterey jack pepper cheese, cut into small chunks
- breadcrumbs, for topping
- 1Cook spinach as directed on package; drain; reserve 1/2 cup liquid.
- 2Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
- 3Whisk in flour until smooth.
- 4Add onion; cook until soft but not brown.
- 5Slowly add milk and reserved spinach liquid, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- 6Stir in garlic salt, celery salt, pepper, Worcestershire and cheese; continue stirring until sauce is smooth.
- 7Combine with spinach.
- 8Pour into a 1 1/2-quart casserole and top with crumbs.
- 9Bake at 350ºF until heated through and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for River Road Spinach Madeleine
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.9
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 349.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: