Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this in an old Junior League Cookbook from Kansas City, Missouri. I like it because it has different ingredients than what is found in most pasta dishes. You can substitute dried shitake mushrooms if you can't find fresh, just be sure to rehydrate them before using.
- 1 (12 ounce) package fettuccine pasta
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup ham, precooked and shredded
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 1⁄2 cups whipping cream (may substitute half and half or fat free)
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 1⁄4 cups green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook fettuccine according to the package directions; drain. Set aside and keep warm.
- Slice mushrooms, discarding the tough stems. Saute mushrooms and ham in butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Combine whipping cream and sherry in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until reduced by half (about 30 minutes).
- Add to the the mushroom mixture, and stir in the green onions, pecans, and parsley. Add the reserved fettucine, and toss well.
Great little quickie of a dinner. I did adjust this a little. I used half and half, needed to use before it went bad. Only used 1 cup onions, and used some diced chicken that I had leftover. With that being said, this made for a delicious dinner for us. Very flavorful, and light. Great leftovers for us tommorow, since I made the full 8 servings. Tagged and made for I Recommend Tag.
I needed to make one or two small changes, simply due to pantry ingredients .. sometimes things I thought were there, are not, when I need them! In this case, green onions and fettucine, so I used spaghetti, and a small green pepper, and some chives from the garden. These changes didn't detract from this really great and quickly prepared dish, wow, so much flavour, and its amazing the difference nuts make to a pasta dish, you don't need a lot and they just add so much, loved the pecans in this. This is a total keeper for me, I always have sherry in the cupboard and this was also an excellent addition, something I wouldnt normally have thought of adding!!! Really looking forward to having this again, I'll make sure to have green onions because I love them, would happily add them to everything. Thanks Breezermom, this is a great recipe, enjoyed for Spring Photo Tag 2013