Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a Turkish cake. I don't know where I picked it up from but it is good.
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup semolina
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Pre heat oven to 180°C and grease a 25cm round or square cake tin.
- Mix the first 6 ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth and pour into greased tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- Set aside to cool.
- Add all ingredients to a pan and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and cook a further 10 minutes.
- When cake is cooled cut into diagonal pieces while still in the tin.
- Pour over the warm syrup.
- Sprinkle with coconut
- Push an almond into each piece.
- I tend to use almond slivers.
- Lasts up to 2 weeks in an air tight container.
- I halve the syrup as this makes quite a lot.