Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
There are several versions of the Ritz cracker casserole, here is mine, which is made with cream cheese. This is comfort food at its best.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 36 Ritz crackers
- milk, as needed
- 2 bunches broccoli, steamed until tender
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb grated mozzarella cheese
- In a medium-size saucepan put the cream cheese and butter, and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Crush the Ritz crackers and place them in a bowl.
- Add just enough milk to moisten the crackers and blend.
- In a greased casserole dish layer 1/2 broccoli, 1/2 chicken, 1/2 grated cheeses, 1/2 crushed crackers and 1/2 cream cheese sauce.
- Repeat the layers.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 35-45 minutes, or until everything is hot and the cheese has melted.
- This can also be made without the chicken.
I halved this recipe as there are only 2 of us tonight. The cream cheese made this much more rich and flavorful than the original recipe I had. I did add a little shot of lemon juice and a some onion powder. THIS IS CERTAINLY A KEEPER!!!