Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my MIL's recipe. She never measured ingredients. When I first made it these are the measurements I used and it tasted exactly like hers. I have found that no matter how much or how little of an ingredient you put in, it is always fabulous. I never questioned why she used the soup with noodles....but it works (I suppose chicken broth would work just as well). The stuffing should not be to dry (or to moist), but if you are stuffing the turkey it is better for it not to be on the moist side as the juices of the turkey will moisten it while cooking.
- 1 (1 lb) box Ritz cracker, crushed
- 4 corn muffins or 4 cornbread, crumbled
- 3 large onions, sliced thin
- oil, enough to saute' onions
- 1 can chicken soup, with noodles,stars,etc.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- Saute' onions in oil till transparent.
- Add carrots and apples and cook till the are softened.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix together and taste for seasoning.
- If too dry you can add a bit of water.
- Stuff turkey loosely.
- Any leftover stuffing can be cooked along-side turkey in foil or in a casserole dish.
- When basting turkey, add some of the juices to any stuffing cooked outside the bird.