This is my mom's classic mayo cake recipe, with a twist! She made it without my secret ingredient for my brother's birthday every year as we were growing up. It is now our family's favorite cake for any celebration.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise (we always use Hellman's or Best Foods)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee, dissolved in the 1 1/2 cups water (this is my "secret ingredient!)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Mayonnaise Cake - Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans or one 9X13 cake pan. Set cake pans aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the water/instant coffee mixture, and stir until moistened.
- Add the mayonnaise and the vanilla, and mix well. Mixture will be thick and"goopy". Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- A toothpick inserted into the cake should come out with no raw batter on it, but with some moist crumbs when the cake is done.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before topping.
- Raspberry Sauce - In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat.
- Add 1/8 cup of the raspberries, well mashed, to the sugar/water mixture.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until mixture has reduced by 2/3. The finished syrup will easily coat the back of a spoon, and be very sticky when it cools.
- Remove syrup from stove and allow to cool slightly. Strain through a seive to remove the seeds.
- Assembling the Cake - Using a pastry brush or a spoon, brush the bottom of each layer of the cooled cake with the raspberry syrup.
- Place the bottom layer upside down on a plate.
- For a two layer cake, crush half the remaining raspberries and spoon over the bottom layer of the cake.
- Top with the remaining layer of the cake, placing it upside down.
- For the top layer, or a single layer cake, follow the directions from this point:.
- On the side of the cake coated with raspberry syrup, arrange the remaining whole raspberries in a pleasing pattern.
- Brush or spoon each whole raspberry with some of the raspberry syrup.
- Allow the cake to sit for 30 minutes before serving.
I founcd this recipe while trying to decide what to do with some fresh raspberries. What a great recipe! My mom made mayonnaise cakes all the time when I was growing up, and I hadn't thought of one for years! Thanks for sharing this recipe.