Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Entered for safe-keeping, by Rita Milos Brownstein, "Jewish Holiday Style".
- 1 cup carrot, shredded (250 mL)
- 1 cup celery root, shredded (250 mL)
- 1 cup parsnip, shredded (250 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup leek, shredded (125 mL)
- 1 cup beet, rinsed and drained and shredded (250 mL)
- 2 cups idaho potatoes (500 mL) or 2 cups russet potatoes, shredded (500 mL)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal (125 g)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (5 mL) or 1 teaspoon kosher salt (5 mL)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarsely grated black pepper (2 mL)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, celery root, parsnip, leek and beets. Reserve.
- In a food processor fitted with the steel S blade, pulse-process potatoes for 30 seconds. Add to shredded vegetables. Add eggs, matzoh meal, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat until a bit of mixture sizzles when dropped inches.
- Form mixture into pancakes: use an ice-cream scoop, then flatten with spatula in pan. Let cook for 6-8 minutes or until golden on one side.
- Flip and cook 6-8 minutes more until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.