1 hr 15 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, by Rita Milos Brownstein, "Jewish Holiday Style".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup carrot, shredded (250 mL)
- 1 cup celery root, shredded (250 mL)
- 1 cup parsnip, shredded (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup leek, shredded (125 mL)
- 1 cup beet, rinsed and drained and shredded (250 mL)
- 2 cups idaho potatoes (500 mL) or 2 cups russet potatoes, shredded (500 mL)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup matzo meal (125 g)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (5 mL) or 1 teaspoon kosher salt (5 mL)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely grated black pepper (2 mL)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1In a large bowl, combine carrots, celery root, parsnip, leek and beets. Reserve.
- 2In a food processor fitted with the steel S blade, pulse-process potatoes for 30 seconds. Add to shredded vegetables. Add eggs, matzoh meal, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- 3Heat a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat until a bit of mixture sizzles when dropped inches.
- 4Form mixture into pancakes: use an ice-cream scoop, then flatten with spatula in pan. Let cook for 6-8 minutes or until golden on one side.
- 5Flip and cook 6-8 minutes more until golden.
- 6Drain on paper towels and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rita's Root Vegetable Latkes
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 50.9
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 20.6 mg
- Sodium 160.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 1.8 g