Recipe by ColSanders
Got this recipe from my sister, Rita. Used to LOVE going to her house and finding a plate of these jems.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350.
- Prepare a muffin pan by spraying the cups with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon until well combined, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (remaining 1 tsp cinnamon, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt).
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until well combined. Add milk and beat until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the shortening mixture and blend well.
- Divide the dough into the muffin cups (I use a 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop to get them evenly filled).
- Bake the puffs for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and they test done. Remove pan from oven and cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Place melted butter in a small bowl.
- Roll each puff first in the melted butter and then in the reserved sugar and cinnamon. Place on a serving plate and enjoy.