Recipe by roja khan
Kashmir is not only a heavenly place to visit, it also have lot of culinary delights to offer. Kashmiri cuisine is rich in taste and aroma. Non-veg lovers will never be disappointed from Kashmiri menu. Rista (Meat-balls in red gravy) is delicious culinary delight with a ladeful gravy to be enjoyed with naan and cumin rice.
- 1 kg boneless mutton, from the leg of lamb
- 1 cup meat fat
- 1 cup moval extract (cockscomb)
- 1 teaspoon saffron, soaked in a cup water
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 4 pieces cardamom (brown)
- 3 teaspoons fennel powder
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 3 pieces cloves
- 2 pieces cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida powder, liquid
- 1 cup mustard oil or 1 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound boneless meat on a smooth stone with a wooden mallet and add the meat fat while pounding. Make sure the pulp is mixed well to make the round balls. Add brown cardamom powder, a little salt and 1 tsp ginger powder. After mixing well make round balls about 3 inches diameter.
- Heat oil in a large vessel add salt, asafoetida and a glass of water and red chili powder. Keep on stirring until it leaves the red colour. Add about 8 glasses of water and the rest of the spices and bring to a boil.
- While the gravy is boiling add meat balls slowly and gently boil for an hour. Add the moval extract and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice.
- Note: Moval is a dried flower available only in Kashmir. Generally it is used for coloring dishes. To prepare moval extract- soak moval in a cup of water for about an hour, drain and store. As an alternative we may use saffron extract. Soak 1 tsp saffron in a cup of water and add to the dish.