Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a really good, full-flavored soup. It can be served thin as an early course, or served thick as part of an entree' or lunch.
- Melt butter in dutch oven or soup pot.
- Add onion and saute' until clear.
- Add salt, pepper, and worchestershire.
- Add flour gradually constantly stirring.
- Add chicken broth. Whisk until smooth.
- Add milk and cheese.
- Stir continually until cheese is melted.
- Pour in beer. If not flat stir, stir, stir.
- Heat through.
- Serve piping hot.
- (Generally, the darker the beer, the more bitter the soup).
This is a very tasty beer cheese soup. It's great with croutons on top. I used only 5 cups of chicken broth and it still wasn't quite as thick as I would have liked it. I blended in a little cornstarch after step 9. I also added a little fresh garlic while sauteeing the chopped onion. Thanx for posting this. I'll make this again with my little adjustments.