Recipe by evelyn/athens
A healthful, light risotto.
Top Review by Missy Wombat
Some recipes when they state 6-8 servings mean official serving sizes which in realiy equates to 3-4 servings for our family. Not this recipe! I had to use 2 pots and split the ingredients up and had plenty left over for lunch the next day despite everyone eating heaps. My 2 year old loved this which is great because she has been going through a fussy stage, and everyone else had seconds and thirds. I used vegetarian chicken flavoured vvegetable stock and substituted the parsley with lemon balm.
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small zucchini, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 10 ounces carrots, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup cream, scalded
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring broth to boil and keep it at a bare simmer.
- In a kettle, cook zucchini and carrots in ½ cup of butter over moderate heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and cook over moderately-high heat, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of stock and cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring, for 3-5 minutes, or until stock is absorbed.
- Add more stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring and simmering, until absorbed and rice begins to soften (about 6 cups of broth will have been absorbed).
- Add more stock, ½ cup at a time, in same manner, until rice is al dente.
- Stir in cream and remaining ¼ cup butter.
- Remove from heat and add Parmesan, parsley and basil and season to taste.
- Transfer to a heated serving bowl and serve immediately.