Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A healthful, light risotto.
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small zucchini, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 10 ounces carrots, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup cream, scalded
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- In a saucepan, bring broth to boil and keep it at a bare simmer.
- In a kettle, cook zucchini and carrots in ½ cup of butter over moderate heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and cook over moderately-high heat, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of stock and cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring, for 3-5 minutes, or until stock is absorbed.
- Add more stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring and simmering, until absorbed and rice begins to soften (about 6 cups of broth will have been absorbed).
- Add more stock, ½ cup at a time, in same manner, until rice is al dente.
- Stir in cream and remaining ¼ cup butter.
- Remove from heat and add Parmesan, parsley and basil and season to taste.
- Transfer to a heated serving bowl and serve immediately.
Some recipes when they state 6-8 servings mean official serving sizes which in realiy equates to 3-4 servings for our family. Not this recipe! I had to use 2 pots and split the ingredients up and had plenty left over for lunch the next day despite everyone eating heaps. My 2 year old loved this which is great because she has been going through a fussy stage, and everyone else had seconds and thirds. I used vegetarian chicken flavoured vvegetable stock and substituted the parsley with lemon balm.
added some fresh minced garlic. my roommates gobbled it up. soo happy with my first risotto experience
Great dish! I added couger gold cheese, paprika, juice of one lemon, and a touch of salt and pepper. I served it with salmon burgers. Delish!