Epi Curious's Note:
This unbelievably rich tasting risotto has an intense, almost meaty flavor, but its fat allotment has been kept to a minimum. From "The Occasional Vegetarian" by Karen Lee. Serves 2 to 3 as a main course, 4 as a first course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or another stock of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Soak the porcini mushrooms in the cold water for 30 minutes. Lift the mushrooms from the soaking water, squeezing them over the water to return any liquid to the cup, and dice. Strain the porcini water through a fine mesh sieve and add it to the stock.
- 2Heat the stock until it reaches a low simmer, then adjust the heat so that it stays just at the simmering point.
- 3Heat the butter over low heat in a wide, heavy-bottom pan. Add the shallots and saute until they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rice and stir well to coat the grains. Add the porcini and portobello mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
- 4Add a ladle of stock; most soup ladles hold 1/2 cup. Stir until the liquid is absorbed. Add the salt and pepper. Keep the heat under the rice at medium and the liquid always simmering.
- 5After adding 3 or 4 ladles of stock, add the wine. continue to stir frequently and to add a ladle of stock at a time. When the rice is almost cooked through, in about 20 to 25 minutes, reduce the amount of stock added each time. As soon as the rice is cooked, remove it from the heat. Stir in the grated cheese and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Risotto With Wild Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.3
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 944.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried porcini mushrooms