Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooking Light April 2008
- 3⁄4 cup shelled fava beans (about 1 1/2 pounds unshelled)
- 2 cups water
- asparagus (about 1/2 pound)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped smoked ham (about 3 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice or 1 1⁄2 cups other medium grain rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup shelled green peas (about 1 pound unshelled)
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cook beans in boiling water 1 minute; drain. Plunge beans into ice water; drain. Remove tough outer skins from beans; discard skins. Set aside.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add asparagus to pan; cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Remove asparagus from pan with a slotted spoon; rinse under cold water. Set aside. Add broth to boiling water; reduce heat. Keep warm over low heat.
- Reserve 3/4 cup broth mixture; keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and ham to pan; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in wine, and cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Add the remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes total).
- Stir in peas, reserved beans, and reserved asparagus. Add reserved 3/4 cup broth mixture, stirring until liquid is absorbed (about 4 minutes).
- Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese, cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Place about 1 cup risotto into each of 6 shallow bowls; sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons remaining cheese.