Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe came from a member of my fitness club
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups arborio rice (or other short grain rice)
- 12 asparagus spears, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄4 lbs bay scallops or 1 1⁄4 lbs sea scallops, cut into fourths
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese, grated
- Bring water and broth to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat and keep simmering.
- Heat oil in nonstick saucepan and add onion. Reduce heat and saute 1 minute.
- Add rice. Cook, stirring to coat, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of broth mixture; cook, stirring, until liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth and asparagus. Cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue to add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed before adding more, until the rice is just tender. Total cooking time for the rice should be about 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in scallops, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cook until the scallops are opaque, the rice tender, and the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and serve.