Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is my favorite risotto recipe, a very earthy, filling dish that works well as a meal itself, but also great as an opening dish or heavy side. Please don't be put off by the ingredients or seemingly lengthy instructions, it is well worth the effort! Please note that the ingredients are key to the total taste of this dish. Try as is before making substitutions, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
- 226.79 g shallots (whole)
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 226.79 g fresh portabella mushroom, diced (about 2 cups)
- 118.29 ml yellow onion, chopped
- 354.88 ml arborio rice
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme, chopped
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 946.36-1182.95 ml hot chicken stock
- 414.03 ml radicchio, chopped and loosely packed
- 236.59 ml tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 177.44 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- chives, minced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Trim ends of shallots. Peel off outer brown layer and cut in half. Coat with 1T olive oil and sprnkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Wrap shallots in foil and roast for 65 minutes. Keep wrapped in foil until ready to serve.
- In large saute pan over medium heat, heat remaining oil and butter. Add mushrooms and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add rice and thyme and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Carefully add wine (it will steam up when poured into pan!) and simmer to evaporate. Start adding stock in 1/2 cup increments and slowly stir until mostly evaporated.
- Cook until al dente.
- Stir in radicchio and tomatoes.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes more to wilt radicchio slightly.
- Stir in parmesan.
- Serve very hot, harnished with shallots and minced chives.
My husband loves this! We served this at our last family get together and it was a hit!