Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Easy to make and all in one pan. My kind of recipe. I have not tried this yet, but as soon as I get the thick-cut bacon, I am going to try it. Can be a nice meal or a heavier side dish. This is a recipe from USAWeekend and is by Nigella Lawson.
- 2 tablespoons oil garlic-flavored olive oil
- 6 ounces cubed pancetta or 6 ounces diced thick-cut bacon
- 1 1⁄4 cups frozen baby peas
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Warm the oil in a heavy pan that will take everything later; a Dutch oven or saucepan of 10 inches diameter should be plenty big enough.
- Add the pancetta and cook, stirring until it becomes crisp and bronzed, then add the peas and stir for a minute or so until the frozen look leaves them. If using thick-cut bacon and there is too much oil in pan, i think i would pour off until 2 Tbsp left before adding the peas.
- Add the pasta and turn it about in the pancetta and peas, then pour in the boiling water.
- Add salt cautiously (the pancetta and bacon are salty as is the Parmesan later); then turn down heat and let simmer for 10 minutes uncovered, though check on it a couple of times and give a stir or two, to stop it from sticking and see if you need to add a little more water.
- When it's ready, the risotto should be soft and starchy and the water absorbed.
- Beat the butter and Parmesan cheese into the pan, check the seasoning, and serve warm.
- Note: to make garlic flavored oil, add a peeled garlic clove to regular olive oil and cook until golder,discard garlic, use the oil.