Recipe by taratee
This is a very filling, one-pot meal that I love to make for a chilly night's supper. You may use sweet or hot sausage and please use the good parm, not the processed stuff in a shaker container. Also, use fresh parsley, NOT DRIED. There are few ingredients in this recipe which should tell you that they really need to be quality ones.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups medium grain rice (aborrio is the recommended rice for risotto)
- 4 -5 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute sausage, onion, and garlic in the pot over medium high heat until onion is tender, breaking meat up with a spoon.
- Add rice and stir for 1 minute.
- Add 4 C of broth, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until broth is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Continue to simmer until rice is just tender, adding more broth, 1/4 C at a time, stirring frequently, about 10 min longer.
- Mix in 1/4 C of cheese and 1/4 C of parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl, top with remaining parsley and pass remaining cheese at the table.