Dr. Jenny's Note:
DH and I enjoyed this very prep-friendly dish from Bon Appetit March 2009. I used a really good white balsamic vinegar that I bought from Fustini's in Traverse City. This recipe was good for a weeknight when we didn't feel like doing a lot of chopping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup arborio rice (or other short-grain rice)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 1/2 cups beef broth, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (5 -6 ounce) duck breasts
- 1Melt 2 Tb butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add rice; stir 2 minutes.
- 3Add wine; stir until almost all liquid evaporates, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add 1 cup broth; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add 2 1/2 cups broth, 1/2 cupful at a time, stirring often and allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding next, until mixture is creamy, about 18 minutes longer.
- 6Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese, vinegar, and 1 Tb butter. Season risotto with salt and pepper.
- 7Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle duck breasts with salt and pepper. Add duck, skin side down, to skillet; cook until skin is brown, about 8 minutes.
- 8Turn duck over and cook to desired doneness, about 5 minutes longer for medium rare.
- 9Transfer duck to work surface; pour off fat (do not clean skillet). Let duck rest while preparing sauce.
- 10Add remaining 1 cup broth to same skillet and boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Slice duck diagonally.
- 11Spoon risotto into shallow bowls. Fan sliced duck atop risotto; drizzle pan sauce around duck and serve.
Browse Our Top Duck Breasts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Duck Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Risotto With Duck and White Balsamic Vinegar
Serving Size: 1 (550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 723.0
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 238.4 mg
- Sodium 1149.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 50.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white balsamic vinegar