Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is based on a recipe from an Eating Well cookbook, but with some major changes. The chard is a toothsome and delicious addition. Trust me--you will like it! Even my chard-hating husband liked this recipe.
- 9.85 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced (or a handful of frozen sliced peppers)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- garlic salt (to taste)
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- italian seasoning (to taste)
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml arborio rice
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml tomato soup
- 59.14 ml white wine
- 158.51 ml parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Saute onion and peppers until soft, then add garlic and seasonings. Saute another minute, then add rice and saute for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add seasonings and 1/2 cup of broth. Stir until absorbed, and then keep adding 1/2 cup of broth at a time, stirring until absorbed, until all 4 cups have been added. This should take 15-20 minutes or so.
- Add the chard and the tomato soup and the white wine. Stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- The rice should be tender--if not, add water in 1/4 increments and keep stirring until the rice is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Stir Parmesan inches.