Recipe by Burgundy Damsel
From 366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans and Grains. Suggested accompaniments include a green salad and loaf of crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cups cabbage, shredded (green or Savoy)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 5 1⁄2 cups vegetables or 5 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, cabbage and thyme and saute until the onions are golden, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the broth and wine and heat to simmering.
- When the onions are golden, add the rice and toss to coat with oil. Add 1 cup of the simmering broth to the rice and stir until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding more broth, 1 cup at a time, cooking and stirring as the liquid is absorbed. It will take a total of 18 to 35 minutes for most of the liquid to be absorbed and the rice to become tender and creamy.
- Stir in the Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot.