Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so good it makes a meal. Just add a green salad and some fresh fruit.
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans (cannellini) or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- finely shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan bring broth to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer until needed. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add uncooked rice. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more or until rice is golden brown.
- Slowly add 1 cup of the broth to the rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup of the broth, the zucchini, and carrots to rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add another 1 cup broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the broth is absorbed. (This should take about 20 minutes.)
- Stir the remaining 1/2 cup broth into rice mixture. Cook and stir until rice is slightly creamy and just tender. Stir in beans and Parmesan cheese; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley and additional cheese, if desired.
- Makes 4 main dish or 6 side dish servings.
A very good risotto, a little different from normal with the beans, very filling and a complete meal in itself! Comfort food, easily prepared and very much enjoyed. I used borlotti beans and omitted the mushrooms, since I don't like them.
Good recipe, thanks Annacia! This recipe was made for PRMR tag game.
This is a very good risotto. I love that with the veggies and the beans it is a complete one-dish meal. I'll definitely make this again! Made for Photo Tag.
I loved this! And the serving sizes are more than generous. I thought the directions were clear and it was very easy to make. I'll be making this again!