1/1 Photo of Risotto With Autumn Vegetables
From "Italian Masterpiece", Good Food Magazine, September 1986.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek, rinsed well, dried, cut into 1/4-inch dice (white part only)
- 4 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade (or as needed)
- 2 cups italian short-grain rice (such as Arborio or Tesori)
- 1 small carrot, pared and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small turnip, pared and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small celery rib, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup diced canned Italian plum tomato
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1Heat 2 T. butter and the oil in large saucepan over low heat. When butter foams, stir inleek and cook, stirring occasionally, until leek is tender and wilted, about 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, pour broth into small saucepan. Heat until hot and keep hot over very low heat.
- 3Add rice to leek, increase heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, until edges of grains are transparent, about 5 minutes.
- 4Pour enough broth into rice to cover by 1/4 inch. Adjusting heat to maintain a lively simmer (not steady boil), simmer, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed and you can see bottom of pan as you stir, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add more broth to cover rice by 1/4 inch and continue to simmer, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat adding broth and simmering until rice is tender, but still slightly firm at the center; it should take about 20 minutes from time first liquid is added. Season to taste with salt and pepper halfway through cooking and stir in carrot, turnip and celery.
- 6Stir enough broth into risotto to make it creamy. Remove from heat and stir in remaining butter, the cheese, tomatoes, and garlic. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Risotto With Autumn Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 611.5
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.0 mg
- Sodium 888.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 14.6 g