This risotto recipe doesn't use cream or cheese which makes it much "lighter". It's still delicious yet healthy.
- 7 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 7 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 leek, shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups arborio rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 8 ounces Baby Spinach, fresh
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In large sauce pan bring stock to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Heat olive oil in separate large sauce pan.
- Saute garlic and leeks until softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add rice and cook for two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add half the wine to rice mixture and about 1/2 cup of the hot stock.
- Cook on medium low until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the remainder of stock and white wine and cook over low heat for 25 minutes, until rice is creamy. (Rice needs to absorb liquid slowly in order to have the correct consistency.).
- Stir in basil and baby spinach. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add plain yogurt and mix well.
- Serve hot.