Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This risotto recipe doesn't use cream or cheese which makes it much "lighter". It's still delicious yet healthy.
- 7 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 7 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 leek, shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups arborio rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 8 ounces Baby Spinach, fresh
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In large sauce pan bring stock to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Heat olive oil in separate large sauce pan.
- Saute garlic and leeks until softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add rice and cook for two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add half the wine to rice mixture and about 1/2 cup of the hot stock.
- Cook on medium low until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the remainder of stock and white wine and cook over low heat for 25 minutes, until rice is creamy. (Rice needs to absorb liquid slowly in order to have the correct consistency.).
- Stir in basil and baby spinach. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add plain yogurt and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Wonderful recipe, I have always panicked at the idea of cooking risotto but this method was perfect. I followed the recipe exactly and we all loved the results. I have already bought the ingredients to make this again. Thank you so much.
I thought this recipe was great. The leeks and tiny bit of yogurt really make it. I used the cooking method from Recipe #315371, so only used about half the broth and wine (I also omitted the salt). I think arugula would be nice in this as a substitute for the spinach. Thanks!
The recipe had lots of flavor and was pretty on the plate. I used a 10oz box of frozen spinach (thawed & sqeezed dry) instead of fresh. I stirred as I added small amounts of liquid and didn't use the full amount. I probably had a cup of stock that went unused. My result wasn't "soupy", but it was done and delicious. I also added 1/2 cup of diced sun dried tomatoes when I added the spinach & basil. Served with Recipe #178839 Made for ZWT4.