Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ideal for a light supper or weekend lunch.
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 ounces risotto rice
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 ounces chestnut mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 ounces arugula
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes and set aside. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from the tomatoes with a teaspoon, but be careful not to cut through to the base. Chop the pulp and keep the seeds, but discard the hard, central cores.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and tip in the rice. Fry gently over a low heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently to stop the rice from browning, then add the scallions, zucchini and mushrooms and fry gently for 2 more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Pour in the stock then stir in the dried herbs, tomato pulp and seeds - the seeds will add fibre, and won't be noticeable in the finished dish.
- Cook gently for about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently until the rice is tender and the stock has been absorbed - add extra stock or water if necessary.
- Turn off the heat, tear the basil leaves into the pan and scatter with parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Put the tomatoes in an ovenproof dish and fill each one generously with the risotto.
- Replace tomato tops and bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes are tender. Cool for 5 minutes, then serve with a few arugula leaves on top.