Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice or 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 8 fluid ounces cabernet sauvignon wine
- 40 -48 fluid ounces low sodium chicken broth, hot
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and minced
- 1⁄4 lb grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, more to taste
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the butter and olive oil together in a large saucepan over low heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the onion and garlic, and sauté until transparent, 7-8 minutes.
- Add the rice, and stir with a wooden spoon until each grain begins to turn a milky white, about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, and continue to stir until it is completely absorbed by the rice.
- Keeping the stock hot over low heat, add the stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring after each addition until nearly all the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue to add stock and stir until the rice is tender but not mushy, a total of 18-20 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cheese, taste again, and season with salt, pepper, and if you like, more cheese.
- Serve immediately.