1 hr 15 mins
Risotto of a thousand and one nights! From the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Chef Fernando Saracchi of Ristorante Bacco, featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch spinach, blanched and pureed
- 12 cups chicken stock or 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 1/4 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine (Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay are all good)
- 2/3 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup prosciutto, chopped
- 12 slices prosciutto
- 1/2 cup mushroom (porcini preferred)
- 1/3 cup peas (if you cannot find fresh, frozen is fine)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (fresh is best)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1To make the spinach puree: stem the spinach; rinse very well and pat dry.
- 2Blanch leaves in boiling water for two minutes; transfer to cold water to stop the cooking process.
- 3Drain well and whirl in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- 4To make the risotto: Bring the stock/broth to a simmer in a large saucepan.
- 5In another pan, melt 3/4 cup of the butter over medium heat and cook the onion for five minutes until golden and translucent.
- 6Add rice and stir for a minute to coat the rice with butter.
- 7Add wine and cook for five minutes or until wine is mostly evaporated.
- 8Add carrots, diced prosciutto and mushrooms along with 1/2 cup of hot chicken broth; cook stirring constantly until broth has evaporated.
- 9Repeat, adding 1/2 cup of hot stock at a time.
- 10When the rice has cooked for about 15 minutes, add peas and spinach puree.
- 11Continue to cook, adding broth until rice is al dente.
- 12When the rice is done, add remaining 1/2 cup of butter and all the grated cheese.
- 13Adjust seasonings.
- 14Garnish each bowl with a couple of whole slices of prosciutto.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Risotto Mille E Una Notte
Serving Size: 1 (757 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 917.3
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.5 g
- Saturated Fat 28.8 g
- Cholesterol 130.7 mg
- Sodium 1004.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 26.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: