Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got this recipe from the Contadina website. It is such a nice and creamy risotto. As a side dish it can serve 4 people easy and 2 people as your main meal. I love making this to have as a side for Osso Bucco or cabbage rolls. Posting here so I don't lose it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 onion (chopped fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread (chopped)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (freshly grated)
- Heat the olive oil and 2 TBS of the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Meanwhile heat the broth in a saucepan and keep at a low simmer. Take out 1 cup of hot broth and stir in the saffron threads and set aside.
- Add rice to the onions and stir till well coated, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the wine to the rice and the 1 cup of broth that has the saffron and cook stirring occasionally over medium heat until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add another cup of simmering broth to rice and simmer until absorbed. Repeat until rice is tender. Stirring often to prevent sticking. Usually around 25 minutes. Most or all of the broth should be used.
- When the rice is tender add in the rest of the butter and the grated cheese. Stir until well mixed and serve immediately.