1/1 Photo of Risotto Milanese
From "Italian Masterpiece", Good Food Magazine, September 1986. Whether served as a first course or main event, this creamy, warming rice dish is the ultimo comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread (about 25)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade (or as needed)
- 2 cups italian short-grain rice (such as Arborio or Tesori)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly ground parmesan cheese
- 1Heat wine to simmering in small skillet and simmer 1 minute. Stir in saffron and remove from heat. Let stand.
- 2Heat 2 T. butter and the oil in large saucepan over low heat. When butter foams, stir in onion and cook until tender and golden, about 15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, pour broth into small saucepan. Heat until hot and keep hot over very low heat.
- 4Add rice to onion, increase heat to medium, and cook, stirirng constantly, until edges of grains are transparent, about 5 minutes.
- 5Pour enough broth into rice to cover by 1/4 inch. Adjusting heat to maintain a lively simmer (not steady boil), simmer, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed and you can see bottom of pan as you stir, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add more broth to cover rice by 1/4 inch and continue to simmer, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat adding broth and simmering until rice is tender but still slightly girm at the center; it should take about 20 minutes from time first liquid is added. Season to taste and with salt and pepper halfway through cooking.
- 7Stir wine mixture into risotto. There should be enough liquid to make rice creamy; if not, add more broth. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 T. butter and the Parmesan. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Risotto Milanese
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 629.1
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.0 mg
- Sodium 848.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 14.3 g