Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is a great Risotto from Cooking Light Feb 2008.
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 1⁄2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cremini mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 1 3⁄4 cups arborio rice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (2 ounces)
- Combine 2 cups hot water and porcini mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Drain mushrooms in a colander over a bowl, reserving soaking liquid. Coarsely chop mushrooms.
- Bring soaking liquid and broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; saute 5 minutes.
- Add porcini, cremini and shiitake mushrooms; cook 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add rice; saute 1 minute.
- Stir in sage, salt and pepper.
- Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed; stirring constantly.
- Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes total).
- Remove from heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and cheese, stirring until cheese melts.