My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped fresh
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss the garlic cloves with the olive oil in a small baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the garlic is tender, about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the garlic is very soft, about 10 minutes longer. Cool the garlic and peel or squeeze out of the peelings. Puree the pulp in a food processor and set aside.
- 2Bring 4 cups water to a simmer in a medium-size saucepan. Reduce the heat to low, cover and keep hot.
- 3Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add the rice and stir until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and stir until it is all absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the hot water. Adjust heat so that the liquid bubbles gently. Stir until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the hot water, 1 cup at a time, until the rice is just tender and the mixture is very thick, simmering until the liquid is absorbed before each addition. Stir frequently, about 25 minutes. Transfer the risotto to a large bowl and cool for about 30 minutes.
- 5Mix the cheese, parsley and garlic puree into the risotto. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- 6Shape the risotto into 6 patties, each about 3 inches in diameter and three-quarters of an inch thick. Place the risotto cakes on a baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (At this point, they can be refrigerated for as long as 8 hours.).
- 7Place some flour in a shallow dish. Lightly coat each cake with the flour. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 to 3 cakes and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the cakes to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and cakes. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Risotto Cakes With Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.1
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 24.0 mg
- Sodium 124.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 4.9 g