Recipe by Manami
I have been looking for a recipe for these and there were none for what I wanted so I decided to create my own. I like to eat them by themselves or as a side dish, you can also make them smaller and use as an appetizer instead of crostini or bruschetta.
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons unsalted margarine or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups vegetable stock or 5 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 1⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter, margarine or oil in nonstick saucepan, until hot.
- Saute onion until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Saute garlic for 30 seconds and then add rice and saute for another minute or 2.
- Add wine and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of broth.
- Simmer, stirring all the time until stock is gone.
- Continue to simmer and add another cupful of broth repeating the process.
- After adding last cupful, cook until rice is soft and sticky with a little crunch.
- Add cheese.
- Pour onto prepared cookie pan or tray and cool.
- After risotto is cooled use a 2" cookie cutter, to cut into cakes.
- To serve, heat 1/2 tablespoon butter or margarine with 1/2 tablespoon oil, in skillet.
- Cook cakes in skillet on both sides until brown.