Recipe by breezermom
This risotto is a main dish meal! Meat, veggies, and rice! I love risotto as a side, but this is hearty enough for an entire meal! Originally posted by Mrs. Peter Davison in the Edgewood Cooks cookbook, but this version has some alterations by me.
Top Review by diner524
Wonderful risotto!!! I did make two changes, other than scaling it back by 1/2. I didn't add the mushrooms due to DS and didn't have the sun dried tomatoes so I added some red bell pepper for color and a veggie, otherwise made as written. I enjoyed it for lunch and DS will enjoy it for dinner on his 2 late days with classes. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Newest Tag Game.
- 1 cup chablis (or other dry white wine)
- 1 7⁄8 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 6 -8 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups arborio rice, uncooked
- 2 cups shredded smoked chicken (I prefer the smoked!) or 2 cups shredded poached chicken (I prefer the smoked!)
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed, drained and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring wine to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in dried mushrooms. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan; cover, reduce heat to low, and keep warm.
- Saute onion in olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add 1 cup reserved chicken broth; cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the chicken broth, 1 cup at a time, and cook, stirring constantly, until 4 cups of the chicken broth have been added and absorbed.
- Add reserved mushroom mixture, chicken, and tomatoes. Continue adding chicken broth, 1 cup at a time, and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is creamy and the rice is tender. (The entire process should take 30 to 35 minutes). Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.