Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rustle up a real sizzler of an appetizer in this easy cheesy recipe for crisp risotto cakes.
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 9 ounces risotto rice
- 1 1⁄2 pints vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup single cream
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh basil leaf
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 1⁄2 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces fresh white breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, over a medium heat, and stir in the garlic, followed by the rice and vegetable stock. Pour in the cream, a little at a time, while still over the heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the rice is cooked, but still has a slight bite to it.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese, basil and sun-dried tomatoes. Leave to cool.
- Shape into bite-sized pieces and mould around cubes of mozzarella cheese. Roll each piece in beaten egg followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and shallow-fry the cakes until golden. Serve warm or cold as an appetizer or snack.