Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are packed full of flavor and even my non-vegetarian boyfriend thinks these make a tasty entree. It takes awhile, but is so worth it. The original recipe calls for plain risotto rice, but I like to replace that with a package of portabello flavored risotto. If using flavored, be careful not to oversalt.
- 4 -5 large tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups pesto sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut off the tops of the tomatoes, remove core, and slice a small sliver off the bottoms so that they sit flat in the pan.
- Spoon out the meat of the tomatoes, leaving only the shells. Save meat in a separate bowl.
- Place tomatoes in a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a deep medium cooking pan, melt butter and olive oil. Add shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender--do NOT brown.
- Add tomato meat and bay leaf.
- Add rice and white wine and simmer until wine is completely absorbed.
- Add vegetable broth or chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until almost completely absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup.
- Add pesto, parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside mixture.
- Bake tomato shells on 375°F for 10 minutes.
- Fill tomatoes with mixture (remove bay leaf) and serve hot.