Recipe by Karen Pea
When on holiday in Lake Como, Italy we went to an Italian cookery lesson with a local restaurant chef. He taught us how to make risotto alla parmigiana and then he also added other ingredients so that we ended up trying 3 other different flavours which you might want to also try (notes about these below). My favourites were the risotto alla parmigiana and the blue cheese flavour which was delicious! I have listed ingredients for the Risotto Alla Parmigiana but at the end there are details of the other flavours that you can try. I'm sorry that the measurements aren't specific but when we tried to pin him down he just said to add as required - typical chef ;) I would suggest to adapt to suit your taste (you might need to have some more butter as backup if you need it).
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
Your recipe for Risotto is delicious, of course you cannot get the type of rice stated in recipe. I chose the blue cheese and pepper, my preference. I also used chicken stock using a soft chicken base. I bet you enjoyed being in the Alps! Lake Como would make my creative juices flow. hanks for posting.
- 1 onion
- 1 (250 g) packet unsalted butter
- 1 kg risotto rice, to use as much as you like (he recommended Carnaroli rice)
- white wine
- vegetable stock (enough to add as required)
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a large knob of butter in a wide reasonably deep pan then add the finely chopped onion to sweat for a minute.
- Add the rice (select your own preferred amount but remember how many cups added) and cook on medium heat constantly stirring until the rice becomes shiny.
- Add 1 cup of wine for each 4 cups of rice that you added. Stir.
- Add enough stock until it covers the rice and is about one finger above the level of the rice. (NOTE: He used veg stock made from carrots, celery, onion, but I wouldn't blame anyone for using a packet or bought stock!) Stir.
- Keep stirring on a low heat for around 18 mins and keep topping up with the stock when the mixture absorbs all the liquid.
- For Risotto alla parmigiana:.
- Warm another pan by swilling it with hot water and then empying it. Add the rissoto mix that you want to be Risotto alla parmigiana to the pan (assuming you want to try a few flavours that is). Add lots of cold unsalted butter. Add lots of grated fresh parmesan cheese. Add some black pepper. Stir and serve.
- For Risotto and blue cheese:.
- Warm another pan by swilling it with hot water and then emptying it. Add the risotto mix that you want to the pan. Add a small amount of butter and crumble in Gorganzola cheese. Stir and serve.
- For Risotto and river shrimp:.
- When you start the risotto making process season some small river shrimp with mixed herbs, salt and pepper. Warm another pan by swilling it with hot water and then emptying it. Add the risotto mix that you want to the pan. Add the seasoned river shrimp, some extra virgin olive oil, and black pepper. Stir and serve.
- For Risotto and truffles:.
- Warm another pan by swilling it with hot water and then emptying it. Add the risotto mix that you want to the pan. Open a jar of truffles in oil. Finely chop the truffles and add with some butter to the pan. Stir and serve.