Recipe by basia1
There are days I just make this for dinner. :) Originally from Linda Fraser's "Vegetarian Cooking".
Top Review by AmySpiders
Heavenly! I've made this twice. It's a pretty golden yellow risotto that only takes about 35 minutes to prepare. I substitute ground saffron and Pecorino Romano with good results. Serve with a huge green salad.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 finely grated lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon saffron strand
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- parmesan cheese, shavings topping
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the garlic, parsley, and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- Put the saffron in a small bowl with 1 tbsp boiling water and let stand while saffron is infused.
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan, and gently cook the onion until soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook for about 2 minutes, until it becomes translucent.
- Add the wine and saffron mixture and cook for several minutes until all the wine is absorbed.
- Added 2 1/2 cups of the stock to the pan, and simmer gently until the stock is absorbed.
- Stir frequently.
- Gradually add more stock, a ladle at a time, until the rice is tender.
- (The rice may be tender and creamy before you've added all the stock, so add it slowly toward the end of the cooking time.) Season the risotto with the salt and pepper and transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkly lavishly with shavings of Parmesan cheese and the garlic and parsley mixture.