Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the method for Risotto that was demonstrated at an Italian cooking class that I attended. Delish!
- 5 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄3 cups arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan bring broth to a simmer - keep at a low simmer.
- In a large skillet heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes or so.
- Add rice, stirring until grains are coated well.
- Add wine and stir until aborbed.
- Add simmering broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently (using a rubber spatula and using a scooping motion rather than stirring motion).
- After each addition of broth is aborbed, add another 1/2 cup of broth and continue the constant stirring. This will take at least 30 minutes until rice is tender.
- Add remaining butter and Parmesan. If you want this is the time to add vegetables or other ingredients. Heat until heated through.
This recipe is perfect! Very delicious - thank you for sharing!
I've never even tasted risotto, so I really didn't know what I was in for! Met and exceeded expectations. Extra veggie broth instead of the wine :( Didn't have any handy...Buy your aborio rice in bulk, some stores try to charge an arm and a leg for packaged rice. Tagged for September Veggie Swap '11.
This was my first time making risotto and it was a breeze. Thank you for a great recipe that was so easy to follow.