Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry by Janet & Greta Podleski, which was published in Reader's Digest. I actually used Spicy Sweet Potato Casserole in place of the mashed sweet potato and cinnamon. I thought it made an great biscuit. I used regular sour cream as that was what I had on hand. I may actually try it as it is supposed to be made some day.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream, NOT fat-free
- 3⁄4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, combine both flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, sweet potato and melted butter. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir using a wooden spoon until mixture forms a ball. The dough may seem dry at first but keep stirring.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out or pat dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/4-inch rounds using a biscuit or cookie cutter. Re-roll scraps of dough to make 12 biscuits total. Transfer biscuits to a cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for about 10 minutes, until biscuits have puffed up and are light golden brown. Be careful not to over bake. Serve warm.
- COOKING TIP: Peel, chop and boil the sweet potatoes until tender, then mash well with a fork or puree until smooth in a food processor. Cool before using.
- To save time, buy canned sweet potatoes (drain well) and mash or puree before adding to recipe.