Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
Risi e Bisi (rice and peas) is a classic Italian dish. In the past, it was prepared only on the feast days decreed by Venice's ruler, the Doge.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 slice bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Saute rice, onions, garlic and bacon in a skillet with the olive oil until bacon is done, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In saucepan, mix the broths with the water and bring to a boil. Add the Italian seasoning and basil.
- Add both mixtures to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 2-3 hours, until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in peas. Cover and cook 30 minutes more. Stir in cheese.