1/2 Photos of Risi E Bisi (Italian Rice and Peas) (Rice Cooker)
I love this recipe. You can use fresh or frozen peas with this. Using fresh peas, add them at the beginning. If you are using very young and tender fresh peas or frozen- add at the end. You can expect this rice to have the texture and consistency of a creamy risotto. From The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shallot, minced (or use mild onion)
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup medium-grain risotto rice (superfino Arborio, Carnaroli, or Vialone nano)
- 2 tablespoons medium-grain risotto rice (superfino Arborio, Carnaroli, or Vialone nano)
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups meat stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1Set Rice Cooker for the quick cook or regular cycle.
- 2Place the olive oil and butter in the rice cooker bowl.
- 3When the butter melts, add the shallots and celery.
- 4Cook, stirring a few times, until the shallots are softened but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Add the wine and cook for a couple of minutes.
- 6Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with the hot butter.
- 7Cook, stirring occasionally, until the grains of rice are transparent except for a white spot on each, 3-5 minutes.
- 8Add the stock and peas, if you are using fresh, mature peas; stir to combine.
- 9Close the cover and reset for the Porridge cycle, or for the regular cycle and set a timer for 20 minutes.
- 10When the machine switches to the Keep Warm cycle or the timer sounds, stir the rice with a wooden or plastic rice paddle or wooden spoon.
- 11The rice should be only a bit liquid and the rice should be al dente, tender with just touch of tooth resistance.
- 12If needed, cook for a few minutes longer.
- 13This rice will hold on the Keep Warm cycle for up to 1 hour.
- 14When ready to serve, add the peas, if you are using frozen or very tender fresh ones; stir just to combine.
- 15Add the butter and close the lid or 2-3 minutes to allow to melt and the peas to heat through.
- 16Stir in the cream, cheese and salt to taste.
- 17Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Risi E Bisi (Italian Rice and Peas) (Rice Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.4
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 33.9 mg
- Sodium 371.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 12.1 g