Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love this recipe. You can use fresh or frozen peas with this. Using fresh peas, add them at the beginning. If you are using very young and tender fresh peas or frozen- add at the end. You can expect this rice to have the texture and consistency of a creamy risotto. From The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, minced (or use mild onion)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup medium-grain risotto rice (superfino Arborio, Carnaroli, or Vialone nano)
- 2 tablespoons medium-grain risotto rice (superfino Arborio, Carnaroli, or Vialone nano)
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups meat stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Set Rice Cooker for the quick cook or regular cycle.
- Place the olive oil and butter in the rice cooker bowl.
- When the butter melts, add the shallots and celery.
- Cook, stirring a few times, until the shallots are softened but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with the hot butter.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the grains of rice are transparent except for a white spot on each, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the stock and peas, if you are using fresh, mature peas; stir to combine.
- Close the cover and reset for the Porridge cycle, or for the regular cycle and set a timer for 20 minutes.
- When the machine switches to the Keep Warm cycle or the timer sounds, stir the rice with a wooden or plastic rice paddle or wooden spoon.
- The rice should be only a bit liquid and the rice should be al dente, tender with just touch of tooth resistance.
- If needed, cook for a few minutes longer.
- This rice will hold on the Keep Warm cycle for up to 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, add the peas, if you are using frozen or very tender fresh ones; stir just to combine.
- Add the butter and close the lid or 2-3 minutes to allow to melt and the peas to heat through.
- Stir in the cream, cheese and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately.
very good recipe.. i didn't use my rice cooker I just cooked it in a pot. Was fast and easy to make and tasted great!
this was great...I used jasmine rice....no cheese...and was great.
This Risotto was delicious! I used half broth and half white wine and added some lemon zest, simply divine! Thanks for a great Recipe!