Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
How will you use your chutney? Serve it alongside vegetarian curries, use it as a dip for pita chips or oven-fried potatoes, or put it to work as a glaze for roasted meats. It is a great sandwich spread or used as a surprise pizza topping. When you need a quick appetizer, simply cover a block of cream cheese with chutney, and break out a box of crackers.
- 4 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium apples or 2 medium pears, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup cider or 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the mixture boils, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes to one hour, until the chutney is thick. Stir often to prevent sticking, especially as the chutney thickens.
- Spoon into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.