1/1 Photo of Rioja Beef With Chickpeas, Peppers and Saffron
2 hrs 25 mins
2 hrs 25 mins
Colorful peppers brighten this hearty stew flavored with Spanish red wine (don't forget to save some wine to serve along with dinner)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-1/2-2-inch cubes, patted dry
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut in 6 pieces
- 1 large red pepper, cut in 6 pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (Spanish Rioja)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; preheat to 450 degrees. Heat 6-quart Dutch oven over low.
- 2Toss meat and 1 T. oil in bowl. Season with 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper.
- 3Add 1 T. oil to Dutch oven; heat on medium-high. Add peppers; cook, stirring, until browned, 3 minutes. Remove.
- 4Working in 2 batches, add meat and sear, turning once, until browned, 5-6 minutes per batch. Return to bowl.
- 5Add remaining oil to pot; add onion. Cook, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, cumin, and saffron; cook, stirring, 1 minutes. Whisk in flour, then broth, wine and tomatoes.
- 6Return beef to pot. Cover with foil, then lid and set over medium-high heat until bubbly. Transfer pot to oven; cook 1-1/2 hours.
- 7Remove from oven; set over low heat. Remove foil; add peppers, chickpeas, zest, juice, and about 1 cup water, if necessary, to make gravy. Cover; simmer for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rioja Beef With Chickpeas, Peppers and Saffron
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.1
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 112.2 mg
- Sodium 643.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 44.4 g